Monday, January 10, 2011

Day 1

I usually take great care with my food choices because of how much I love cooking and food in general.  It's going to be interesting to document it all here so I can look back and see how horrendously uncreative I am. Good times.

Breakfast--Bowl of instant oatmeal with about 15 dried cherries.  Oatmeal is supposed to be filling, but that hasn't been my experience.  However, coupled with a fair amount of water in my classes I made it to lunch unscathed.

Lunch--I will go ahead and say that while my school's lunch is infinitely better than anything I ever had as a student, that doesn't make it good or healthy.  Today was supposed to be a good day, with one of my favorite soups (Potato and Kale) and a fair amount of green vegetables (asparagus and snow peas).  Unfortunately, the soup was made with beef broth (just smell it sometime when it isn't in a beef dish) so that was problematic and the veggies were swimming in something I assume was butter mixed with liquid death.  Lunch wasn't healthy.

Snack--Since lunch was a bomb, I threw down a Fiber One bar for a post-meal stopgap.  Those things are ridiculously good and filling.  I'm a fan.

Snack #2--I realize to anyone reading this as a "healthy eating blog" they're going to be screaming at me for my meal division, but bear with me.  I swung by the store after school to fix my veggie disaster from lunch by getting some peppers, onions, broccoli, chicken breasts, kiwis, and bananas.  When I got home, I ate two kiwi fruits because they were so tempting.  It's fruit...deal with it.

Dinner--Vegetable Stir-Fry.  Mushrooms, zucchini, peppers, onions, and broccoli with brown rice, flavored with garlic, ginger, and soy sauce.  It was awesome and big enough that Abby has some leftover for lunch tomorrow at school.

Dessert--I LIKE FOOD.  One of my students gave me a Green and Blacks' Dark Chocolate Bar (70%) for Christmas and it's been calling to me, so I melted half of it down into some milk and then added marshmallow creme to thicken it up a bit, then we dipped some of the bananas into it for faux-fondue.  Used about four tablespoons of the stuff, so not disastrous but still filling enough that I haven't moved in an hour or so.

All in all, not a bad start.  I know I'm going to suffer at school because of the extreme lack of options, but I'm going to be able to make it up at home since I'm the chef.  Here's to a new me, hopefully sooner rather than later!

No comments: