Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Day 79--Party Time at the St. Germains!

So we celebrated my friend Jason Toy's birthday yesterday night, which was a great time with amazing friends and great food.  Casey made this amazing teriyaki chicken and sticky rice, I made sauteed squash, mushrooms, and onions, and then there was Funfetti (what what!) cake and sorbet floats, courtesy of Safeway brand Apple and Pomegranate Apple Sparkling Cider.  I wish I got paid for that little product placement.

The highlight of the evening was most certainly Ms. Julia Austen St. Germain, all two weeks of her.  She slept almost the entire time, only got fussy once (and when I picked her up SHE CALMED DOWN. Alert the presses.) and generally spent the night looking as cute as possible and stealing my wife's heart.  I've got some competition now, and I don't mind one bit.

On to the food...my memory isn't so hot right now since I'm exhausted, but this will be as accurate as I can make it.

Breakfast--Fage Peach with honey. It was another slow starting morning.

Snack--Fiber One bar.

Lunch--Spicy Thai chile tuna with spinach salad, crackers, and barbecue Zapps.  Still funny.

Snack--Fage Cherry with honey.  I went to the store to get stuff for dessert and reloaded on Fage while I was there.  The Chobani was cheaper, but they only had pineapple 2%, and frankly, its gross.

Dinner--As I said above, I had a teriyaki chicken breast, about 3/4 cup white sticky rice, and a heaping pile of sauteed veggies.  The vegetables had some Montreal Steak seasoning and a splash of Riesling white wine at the end, and I have admit--they were really good.  Usually I don't cook with wine, or even have it in my possession, but I read an article the other day that really stuck in my imagination: "Home cooks season with salt and pepper.  Great chefs season with salt and acid."  So that's my new venture...how can I incorporate some acid into each dish, not for the sake of doing it, but to enhance flavors.

Dessert--Here's where the wheels fall off.  They had a bowl of jellybeans out (so you know I'm screwed) that I nibbled on all night while cooking, and then I had TWO pieces of cake.  C'est la vie...it was delicious, and I had a salad for lunch. I think I can deal.

All in all, not a terrible day, but not perfect.  I still need to workout some, and hopefully Wednesday will provide an opportunity for that.

How about you, dear reader--do you use any special forms of acid (vinegars, wines, juices, etc.) in cooking that I should know about?

No comments: