Thursday, March 3, 2011

Day 53--Mismanagement

Today was one of my favorite days at school--Pep Rally Day.  The reason I appreciate these far too infrequent celebrations actually has nothing to with the pep or the rally...I have more school spirit for Westbury than I did for Plano West (my alma mater) but that's not saying much. I have more school spirit for San Dimas High School Football (word on the street is that they rule!) than either. Probably.

No, the reason I love me some Pep Rally Day is that its also Schedule D, or as I like to call it, proof that things could be done better.  I have the period after lunch off on Schedule D days, so I get to have an extra long lunch, AND it shows that we can get all 8 classes in by 2:45 without losing much instruction time or having huge schedule issues.  Win/win!

Breakfast--High Fiber Cinnamon Swirl oatmeal with freeze dried mangoes.  The oatmeal was a winner, the freeze dried mangoes...not so good in the oatmeal. In fact, it was really bad. Mistake!

Snack--Fiber One bar...my last one for this box. RIP Fiber One bars...we hardly knew ye.

Lunch--Cafe Express with the awesomeness that is Megan Gilbert.  We had a great time...definitely one of my favorite teachers at WCS.  I had a burger with lettuce, onion, pickle, bacon, a small amount of ketchup, and sweet potato fries.  It was amazing...I miss good burgers.

Dinner--The moment we've all been waiting for...the Dinner of Awesomeness!  I baked a chipotle-lime chicken breast from Central Market, then made smashed potatoes with roasted garlic, and topped it off with sauteed kale.  The potatoes were smashed and not mashed because I didn't add any dairy (butter, cream, milk, etc) to the mix, just a whole head of roasted garlic and some salt.  They were really good, but even better with the kale mixed in.  I crisped up the last of my Farmers' Market bacon, then wilted the kale in the bacon fat, added a splash of cider vinegar and a teaspoon of honey, threw the bacon back in, and stirred to deliciousness.  Kale is one of the healthiest greens (or any food for that matter) you can eat, although I'm sure I dampened that a bit with the bacon.  It was an amazing meal, and 2 hours later I'm still VERY full.  Success, and well worth the wait. Now I just need to buy some more bacon at the Farmers' Market on Saturday!

Three day weekend starts tomorrow...I look forward to having cooked, thought-out meals that I can control and dictate what goes in my body.  Access to the gym without migraines will be nice too.

One week until Spring Break! Woohoo!

No comments: