Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Day 72--Back to School. Yay.

Le sigh. Spring Break is over, and its back to work.  The good news is that I left minimal work to be done when I got back. The bad news is that it could have been zero work and I was too lazy. Oh well...tests will be graded, paperwork filled out, and the world will keep spinning. Presumably.

Today also began our little shopping experiment where I'm attempting to buy all of our weekly groceries up front.  This will hopefully serve three purposes: 1) Save me trips to the grocery store and cut down on impulse buys when I'm in there every single day 2) We can plan our meals and have healthy options ready 3) Should be cheaper and healthier in the long run.  I spent around 70 bucks today for tons of meals...some canned beans, some rice mixes, chicken, vegetables, sausage, ground pork (for this amazing asparagus and pork recipe I found) and then some condiments (sesame oil, soy sauce [it exploded in the parking lot...sad face], mirin, etc.), more yogurt...it was quite the haul.  I'm interested to see how this all plays out!

I also really need to get back in the gym.  The physical and emotional toll of the week has slowly dissipated, and now I feel almost normal.  Unfortunately, for me almost normal is still fat.  That needs to be corrected.

Abby had a terrible day today, and that sucks because she deserves to have some good days and because she hasn't had a break in about three months.  First she had to get up with me (read: early) and study, then she had a test exactly a week after boards started, then she discovered she left her car keys (and, by proxy, her apt key, locker key, EVERYTHING) in Plano, so that was some unnecessary stress.  If you could lift her up in prayer, she and I would definitely appreciate it...she's too good of a person to continually get stepped on by life like this.

Breakfast--Cinnamon Swirl High Fiber oatmeal with dried cherries, and cherry Fage w/honey.  I ate a big breakfast because I knew lunch today was going to be a salad at best.  It was actually worse than that.  Side note: When I say "big breakfast" some of you may scoff, because lets face it: oatmeal and yogurt isn't big by normal standards.  However, the best thing you can do to fill yo belly is eat a lot of fiber and protein, and high fiber oatmeal (duh) and greek yogurt give healthy doses of both, making it fairly large. At least by the standards of my stomach, which is all that counts in this space.  Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Lunch--A Fiber One bar and a bag of barbecue Zapps chips.  There's an incredibly awkward story from high school involving Zapps chips, and anyone involved may be laughing uncontrollably right now. As they should.  Moral of the meal time is that lunch sucked.

Dinner--Whole wheat penne pasta with some asparagus, yellow sweet onion, yellow bell peppers, garlic, red pepper flakes, and andouille sausage.  It was really really good, although after my scant lunch I ate waaaay too much of it, and probably reduced any nutritional value that was in the pasta primavera concept. Whoops.

Dessert--A single chocolate cupcake from my lovely sister's wedding and a strawberry (variety! holla!) Fage with honey.  NOW I'm full.

I know I need to do better eating, and assuming our lunch compatriots hold up their end of the bargain, I should have something healthy to eat every day the rest of this week.  If they don't, well...I have another bag of Zapps in my desk.

For those that haven't scoped it out yet, my newest writing endeavor at epicureanepiphany.blogspot.com is gearing up for round two this Friday.  If you have any suggestions for what I should tackle, let me know in the comments section.  And please, tell your friends!  I'll soon be featuring a guest post from Nathan MacDonald, and I hope to get more people involved.  If you know someone passionate about food, specifically the beauty of individual ingredients at their best, then let them know about it!

Shout out to my European and Asian readers...the stats section of this thing continues to amaze me.

Psalm 34:8--Taste and see that the Lord is good!

No comments: