Friday, February 4, 2011

Day 26--Snow Day, Only Without the Snow

The Houston weather forecasters are apparently wildly incompetent, but at least for today I don't mind it one bit.  We got the day off from school because we were supposed to get hit with 2-5 inches of snow, but with the exception of bridges, overpasses, and the bottom step from our apartment, there is hardly any evidence of precipitation at all.  So we got a day off from school without being penned in!  I'm sure I'll complain in April when we lose our bad weather day, but for now I am thrilled.  Sleeping in and eating real food is always a bonus.

Breakfast--Steel cut oats with banana slices, almonds, dried cherries from a local farm in Boerne, a half tablespoon of honey peanut butter and a cup of cherry pomegranate yogurt.  It was delicious and incredibly filling, because three hours later I still felt like I had eaten an entire brick. Making it all the more impressive is that before lunch...

Exercise--I ran/walked for 16 minutes (still building endurance, and my knee is still janky) then lifted some weights and cooled down on the bike.  Felt good.

Lunch--Thanks to my good friend Nathan MacDonald's blog, I had a craving for burritos today.  Thanks to the bad weather predictions, it was safe to get out to go to Chipotle.  I had a bowl with rice, black beans, fajita veggies, steak, corn salsa, hot salsa, and lettuce, along with two small corn tortillas on the side and an iced tea.  I have to admit, I like drinking water a lot, but flavor is nice, too.  It was warm and spicy--an excellent counter to the cold weather.  Even though we didn't get the snow/sleet, Mother Nature brought the thunder temperature-wise.

Snack--An ounce and a half of dark chocolate with some all natural peanut butter spread on it.  It was not only amazing (I LOVE Reese's...) but it was pretty filling too.  I need more dark chocolate now!

Dinner--I sauteed some zucchini, broccoli, red bell pepper, onion, garlic, and andouille sausage with some whole grain angel hair pasta.  I love pastas, especially since garlic is such a fantastic flavor, so when we indulge with some we try to make sure its as healthy as possible.  The whole grain pasta (400 calories for 4 ounces) and andouille chicken sausage (300 calories for two links) mean we can have a good Italian meal without the usual Italian calories.

Dessert--Against my better judgment, Abby made mini cupcakes with homemade chocolate frosting.  I popped a couple (so to be nice...of course...) and then followed it with a banana so I didn't feel like a complete failure.  They were delicious, but will be the only two I eat.

It's great, because today felt like Saturday, but really, tomorrow is Saturday! The extra day of rest, exercise, and controlling my food (read: NOT being at the mercy of school) should help me shed some more poundage.  Thanks again to everyone who reads this; any comments of encouragement will help motivate me in my quest to be healthier and lose some of my excess me!

No comments: