Monday, April 4, 2011

FCC Dinner 4/2/11

Here are the pictures and my recap of the Food Creates Community event from Saturday night.  It was above and beyond anything I could have hoped for...much thanks to Jordan for trusting me and to everyone who came out!

Amuse: Artichoke hummus with flatbread, a parsley leaf, and capers.  It was refreshing and a great way to start out the meal.

1st Course: Caramelized onion and mushroom soup with an herbed goat cheese crouton.  I have to admit, as someone who doesn't eat cheese, having to spread 50 croutons with a creamy chevre was...unique?  The croutons looked delicious, even if I wouldn't like them, and the soup was fantastic.

2nd Course:  A sweet pea puree, blini (small savory pancake), creme fraiche, asparagus, whole peas, and smoked salmon, garnished with lemon juice and shaved carrot.  Lots of components, lots of work, and completely worth the effort.

3rd Course:  I'm sad to say I don't have a picture of this one...we ate it too fast.  Jordan made a sweet potato cornbread that we turned into a bread pudding, with chives, roasted red bell peppers, and topped with purple kale, roasted Texas smoked sausage, and a splash of honey.  My favorite dish of the night, save the dessert...but I'll get to that in a bit.

4th Course:  Roasted chicken with an herbed oil, with the herbs coming straight from the garden outside the restaurant kind enough to lend us their kitchen.  The Garden Cafe in Dallas is a stand-up establishment run by some great people.  Can't recommend it enough.  The chicken was topped off with a cauliflower-kale puree, sauteed mushrooms in white wine and sauteed red peppers in some of the chicken fat.  We garnished with orange juice, parsley, and some collard green flowers.  Just a remarkable plate.


5th Course: Sweet, sweet dessert.  Jordan made a batch of brown sugar biscuits that acted as the shortbread in our Texas Strawberry Shortcake.  I made a sabayon sauce (a vanilla custard flavored with wine) and a strawberry-citrus jam to garnish the plate, and then we topped it all with whipped cream and grapefruit zest.  I ate my fair share of biscuits and of course tasted the sauces as they came along, and let me tell you...you missed out.


I encourage all of you to check out Jordan's catering service as well as FCC, because its not only incredible food, its an unique and fantastic experience.  I hope he lets me participate again, but even if it doesn't work out, I got to say I was a professional chef for one night, and for that I am grateful.

No comments: