Tuesday, January 6, 2009

If only life were like Batman

I turned on the TV at Jacob's house tonight to an episode of Batman, the greatest cartoon/superhero ever.  Batman was underwater, being held in a chokehold of doom by Killer Croc, a mutant human-crocodile hybrid bent on destruction, namely the destruction of the Caped Crusader.  If I had turned this on having no prior knowledge of Batman or his wicked awesome crime-fighting skills, I might have been a little concerned for his safety.  But he's Batman, and he somehow bent his entire body in half (must not have ribs) and kicked KC in the head, rendering him thoroughly beaten down. As Batman should.  All Batman episodes involve the criminal gaining the upper hand at some point, but Batman coming through in the end.  You don't necessarily need to watch the entire episode to know what will happen. Bruce is gonna win.

I, however, contrary to popular belief, am NOT Batman.  I don't always win, I don't get out of every scrape, and I don't get attacked by man-odile mutant freaky hybrids.  At least not so far.  If you looked at my life right now with no prior knowledge of what was going on, you'd see me moving to Houston next week to be with my fiancée and start work at GC4 and not be concerned at all with what was going on.  Looks normal to you.  And you'd be wrong.

On May 17th, 2007, I was single, about to start work at a hospital in Abilene, bolstering my resumé for another crack at Medical School.  I had just graduated from ACU with my BS in Biology, and was not looking forward to a year cleaning operating rooms after surgery.  Life was moving forward, but tough and a little bit debilitating. 

On May 17th, 2009, I will marry the love of my life, Abby, and be in my 4th month working with the youth ministry at GC4, my passion in life. I'll be halfway done with my MDiv and gearing up for an awesome summer with some great kids.  Life will be moving forward, and it'll be exciting and terrifying all at once.

That's not how the episode ends;  on May 17th 2010 there's no telling what will be going on.  The important thing is to not forget how the episode started...and how God has guided me through all of it.   Stay tuned, sit back, grab your popcorn, relax, and for heaven's sake...don't blink.  You might miss the show.

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear.  Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?  Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.  Are you not much more valuable than they?  Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?  But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."  Matthew 6:25-27, 33

No comments: