Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon

What a ridiculous game.

However, I can honestly say that I haven't met anyone who is anywhere close to as good at it as I am. Sad, but true...I dominate that ridiculous game.  For some reason, God gave me the ability to recall actors and actresses from movies that I haven't ever seen.  It's a nice party trick and conversation starter, and it also leads to me being in anguish because I know who starred in movies from 15 years ago but I can't remember Greek vocabulary from 15 minutes ago. But that is neither here nor there.

The coolest thing about the human body to me has always been how it all works together.  The heart and spleen and liver and fingernails all work together to keep us healthy and keep everything regulated the way it needs to be.  There is a reason we refer to the church as the body of Christ...we all need to work together.

Today I got a Facebook message from my sister's roommate, who's best friend's sister is interviewing at the same Optometry school that Abby is at.  Yes...read that again.  My sister's (Jenna)  roommate's (Hilary) best friend's (Audrey) sister is wanting to get in touch with my fianceé. I was amazed as I watched Abby spring into action; her willingness to help Emily (the aforementioned interviewee) without even knowing her (or Audrey or even Hilary) is so indicative of how we all should act as Christians.  The 1st century church combined their resources to live in community, helping one another because they believed in love.

So yeah, I can remember weird things about movies. Big whoop.

I hope I never forget that I'm surrounded by love...try that for a conversation starter sometime.

"In Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given us." Romans 12:5-6

No comments: