Saturday, October 17, 2009

Transcendence

I've watched two very different football games in the last 24 hours. I'm writing this before the UT/UO (yes, it is the University of Oklahoma. They go by OU because they can't spell) game ends because if it goes south, I'll spew vitriol and that's not the point.

Last night we had the Westbury Christian homecoming game against Lutheran North. Unfortunately for the festivities, we got trounced 40-12. The men played hard, but between injuries and academic issues, we were just undermanned. It was a valiant effort. What struck me is that the outcome of the game seemed to not really affect the demeanor of the crowd and the student body. At the Chocolate Bash afterwards, there was a palpable sense of excitement, even though the guys were disappointed. We had a fantastic crowd, the kids were playing around and talking, the faculty stayed up past 10 o'clock for once (and didn't complain too loudly)...it was a great time. We knew that there was something more important in life than the outcome of a football game, even if it's the homecoming game.

On the second drive during the Texas game today, Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford, an amazing QB, Christian, and friend to Colt McCoy (the UT quarterback and his biggest rival), was hurt again. In the first game of the season he hurt his shoulder, and worked extremely hard to get himself back into shape to play this game. My initial reaction? To clap my hands and cheer. And I can guarantee I wasn't the only one.

What is wrong with us? Why is an injury to a young man with a bright future cause for celebration?

We spend a lot of time as Christians talking about being in the world, not of the world. However, we feel like there are certain areas that we can discard that motto...sports, business, the movies we watch, whatever it might be. I can pray for someone with cancer, but if a rival blows his knee out and ruins his career and future? Bust out the foam fingers! I can give 15% at church, but if an opportunity comes to abuse something to make bigger profits? I can give 18% now! Don't lust, except when its a movie with an attractive young actress? Let's see it twice!

I appreciate Westbury for teaching me about transcendence. There are certain things that just aren't as important as we make them out to be.

Now if you'll excuse me, Colt McCoy just threw a pick. I need to go pray.

"What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?" Mark 8:36

No comments: